Location: Raymond High School Field
Time: See schedule when posted
Events and Age Groups: All ages as of January 1st of current year.
All age categories have male and female categories:
18 and over
Two teams per region, per event.
Participants can play in one age group, plus one open (18 and over) event only.
Minimum of 4 teams per age/gender group.
All teams will play a round robin format against teams from within their division. The top 4 teams in each division will play off in single elimination games with the top 2 advancing to the division championship game.
Rules and Regulations:
- SPORTSMANSHIP / ROUGHING
- If the referee/official witnesses any act of tackling, elbowing, cheap shots, or any other unsportsmanlike act, the game will be stopped, and the player may be ejected from the game.
- FOUL PLAY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!
- Trash talking is not allowed. The referee/official has the right to determine language that is offensive (trash talking is language that may be considered offensive to the referee/official, opposing team, or spectators). The referee/official may eject players from the game for trash talking.
- GAME PLAY
- League play is 5 on 5 flag football
- No contact allowed
- At the start of each game, a coin toss will determine who starts with the ball.
- The winner of the coin toss has the choice of offense or defense. The loser of the coin toss has the choice of side. Possession changes to start the second half to the team that started the game on defense. Teams will switch sides to start the second half.
- The offensive team takes possession of the ball at its 5-yard line and has three (3) plays to cross midfield. Once a team crosses midfield, it has three (3) plays to score a touchdown.
- If the offense fails to score, the ball changes possession and the new offensive team starts its drive on its own 5-yard line.
- If the offensive team fails to cross midfield, possession of the ball changes and the opposition starts its drive from its own 5-yard line.
- All possession changes, except interceptions, start on the offenses 5-yard line.
- Teams change sides after the first half. Possession changes to the team that started the game on defense.
- There are no kickoffs and no punts.
- All Divisions will have players as the quarterbacks
- U11 Division, the players will quarterback for the 1st and 2nd downs and the coach may step in to be quarterback for the 3rd
- FLAGS will be provided at the event by the sports chairman.
Touchdown= 6 points
Extra points - 5 yards out = 1 point,
10 yards out = 2 points
Safety = 2 points
- A safety occurs when the ball-carrier is declared down in his/her own end zone. Runners can be called down when their flags are pulled by a defensive player, a flag falls out, they step out of bounds, their knee or arm touches the ground, a fumble occurs in the end zone or if a snapped ball lands in or beyond the end zone.
- A team that scores a touchdown must declare whether it wishes to attempt a 1-point conversion (from the 5-yard line) or a 2-point conversion (from the 10-yard line).
- A decision cannot be changed after a penalty. Interceptions can be returned.
- NO BLOCKING, NO CONTACT, NO TACKLING
- RUSHING THE QUARTERBACK
- Players that rush the quarterback must be a minimum of 10 yards from the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped or picked up by the quarterback.
- Players that are not 10 yards from the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped may not enter into the backfield until there has been a change of possession.
- The official will designate 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.
- The rusher is allowed a direct line to the quarterback as long as he rushes from either side of the field and not up the middle.
- The offense must avoid interfering with the rusher.
- U11 and U13 only allowed 1 rusher at anytime
- There are no fumbles. The ball is spotted where the ball-carriers feet were at the time of the fumble.
- DEFENSIVE PENALTIES:
- Offside - Illegal Rush
- Pass Interference
- Illegal contact (holding, bump, etc.) Note: The officials will determine incidental contact.
- Roughing the quarterback (not playing the flag).
- All defensive penalties are five yards from the line of scrimmage and automatic first down except holding which is added on to the end of the play.
- OFFENSIVE PENALTIES:
- Illegal motion
- Offensive pass interference (illegal pick, pushing off defender)
- Impeding the rusher (the offensive players must avoid the rusher)
- Flag guarding (players must keep their hands above their waist)
- Delay of game
- All offensive penalties are five yards from the line of scrimmage and loss of down except flag guarding, which is from the point of infraction, no loss of down.
- RECEIVING All players are eligible to receive a pass, including the quarterback, if the ball has been pitched back or handed off.
- The Southern Alberta Summer Games has a Zero Tolerance Harassment Policy. If a competitor, coach, parent, or spectator is abusive in any way towards officials, other competitors, or volunteers, they will immediately be ejected from the competition.
Registration Deadline as designated by your Regional Director
All registrations are done through your Regional Director, who will determine the Regional Deadline. The registration fee must also be submitted to your Regional Director. Signed consent forms must accompany the waivers.
No late registrations will be accepted.
Events will be cancelled if there are three or less teams registered. Should any event be cancelled due to lack of registrations, the athletes being affected by the cancellation will be given an opportunity to re-register in another suitable category provided that event is scheduled to run.